Saturday 22 January 2011

Research - Mike McFarlane

For my tenth and final piece of research I have chosen to research photographer Mike McFarlane. Mike McFarlane is a photographer who really inspires me. His work is very similar to what I would like to achieve in the many years that I do photography. Mike Mcfarlane started taking photographs in 2002 and has become a big name in landscape photography. He goes all over the country taking photographs of some of the most amazing photographs of what nature has to offer. Like always I will be choosing some of the photographs which I feel are my favourite pieces of his work and writing about why I have chosen them.

The Miracle of Life
This is the first photograph that I came across whilst viewing Mike's work. One explanation for this piece of work is that it is simple but truley fascinating. As you can see one of his main focuses for this photograph was to get the viewer to see the natural beauty of the landscape surrounding this photograph but also to get the viewer to see the beauty of the rock placed right at the front of the photograph. With this placed here it changes the shot completely making it not only a landscape shot but a unique landscape shot. Very impressive, it goes to show that Mike likes to go the extra step with his photography.




Enlightenment

This is the second photograph I have chosen for my research. This photograph in one word is stunning. Taken at the Loch Vaa in Inverness Scotland, this photograph shows how beautfiul the nature can be in the UK and also how perfect it is for photographs. Obviously taken with a wide angled lense, this photograph has everything in it for a landscape shot. This is most definetly the type of shot I would like to take eventually. With the hills in the background and the Loch in the foreground, this shot has absolutely everything in it. He also managed to take this shot at the right time with the sun shining down on the trees to the right of the shot making this photograph look even better than it already is.


Tombolo and White Horses
For my third and final shot I have chosen of Mike's work I have chosen another photograph which really inspires me. This shot is another landscape shot which was also taken in Scotland. Again, it has a mixture of everything for a landscape shot. It has perfect brightness, perfect colour and everything that is included in the shot mixes perfectly with it. What I like the most about this photograph is how he managed to capture this when the tide was out. This makes the shot look amazing as you can see part of the tide is on the left and part of it is on the right creating a surrounding effect with the becah in the middle. This was the perfect time to take this shot because if the tide was in this would be a completely different picture.

Overall Mike McFarlane really inspires me. I will love to be able to take landscape shots like these especially with Rivers and surrounding landscapes because they are truley amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment