Tuesday 12 October 2010

F Stop/Shutter Speed Task

For this task I had to go out and use my camera to take many different photographs using different shutter speeds and F stops using manual settings. The idea of this task is to get used to using the different manual settings on the camera and see what effects they can lead to.

Because my theme is water photography I decided to go to an abandoned bridge by the River Trent. The Light was really good because I went out in the morning and the sun was beaming.


1/160 F5.6
 This was the first photograph I took. As you can see the photograph is too bright, this is due to the camera settings I had whilst taking the photograph. The settings were set to 1/160 and the F Stop 5.6. The reason the photo ended up like this is due to the settings I had set on the camera alongside with how bright it was outside aswell.


1/500 F7.1
 So after i had taken the first photograph I then changed the settings on the camera to adjust to the surrounding light. It took a few more attempts to get the shot right with the correct settings, this was one of the best photographs I managed to take. For this shot I set the camera to 1/500 for the shutter speed because all of the other shutter speeds before this were too slow and were letting too much light in, the F Stop was set to 7.1, perfect for the amount I wanted in the photograph.


1/400 F 7.1
So after I had finished with the photographs of the bridge head on, I then went to the side of the bridge where I was situated pretty much underneath one of its arches. This was the first shot I took, it wasnt bad but I had only altered the settings a tiny bit from the photograph I had taken before. I had set the camera to 1/400 F Stop 7.1. So as you can see the picture does look darker than the one before, this is because of the amount of light was a lot lower due to standing near to the bridges arch and the sunlight had also gone down. This led to the picture being darker because the shutter speed was set quite quick to let less light in.


1/200 F 7.1
 This was the photograph I took after lowering the shutter speed. As you can see the picture has become very bright, too bright infact. This is due to the shutter speed I had set, I had set it so that the camera would take a tiny bit more longer to take the photograph to let more light it but it was set to slow. I think that if i took a photograph with a shutter speed set to 1/320 and an F Stop of 5.6 I would've taken the perfect shot for the amount of surrounding light there was.

1/80 F 5.6
 Ok so away from the water theme I decided to take a look around to see if there was anything out I could test my camera on. I had found a hedgehog sitting by some grass minding its own business. So i tried to get as close as I could to take a good photograph of it. I set my shutter speed to 1/80 because the light had faded quite alot and due to how close I was to the hedgehog and my F Stop set to 5.6. As you can see the photograph turned out very nice with the right amount of light in the picutre. I only wish I had a Macro lense to take some more better pictures of the hedgehog.

I feel that I have managed quite well on this task bearing in mind I am still a beginner. My photographs werent great but I am just trying to test all of the different manual settings on the camera to get the perfect picture whilst deciding what settings to have alongside the surrounding light. I will be going out again proberbly to the same place to practise some more at a different time of day to test what settings I would need with a different amount of light.

D1

2 comments:

  1. It's great that your experimenting with your camera controls and understanding where any problems lie and what you need to do to correct them! Its all about practice practice practice now as you already have a good grasp of the basics, I love that your keeping the images that are not correct and comparing them, this is great working practice at this point of your learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hedgehog picture. It looks really clear to me. I would like a macro lens too one day.

    ReplyDelete